THE CHANCEL ORGAN E.M. Skinner / Aeolian Skinner / Holtkamp
1931 E.M. Skinner Facade
In 1931, the M.P. Möller organ was removed as part of a renovation of the sanctuary's chancel for which a new reredos and organ were designed.
The Ernest M. Skinner Company from Boston was commissioned to build a new organ that would be divided in two chambers on either side of the chancel. The new chancel featured a highly ornate reredos designed by Ralph Adams Cram, communion table, and collegiate style choir stalls.
In 1959, the organ was renovated by the Aeolian Skinner Organ Company in keeping with the tenants of the organ reform movement that was sweeping across the United States. Only a small portion of the E.M. Skinner organ was retained with new principal and reed choruses added to almost every division. The facades were removed to make way for cantilevered Great and Positive divisions. The swell boxes and harp mechanism were retained.
In order to support congregational singing more effectively, a new antiphonal organ with a separate console was added to the rear gallery of the church. This organ was named the Newberry Organ and dedicated to the memory of Henry Strong Newberry (1850-1913) and Elizabeth Britton Newberry (1855-1942).
In 1996, the ailing console was replaced with a new console by the Holtkamp Organ Company (Cleveland) which featured a new solid state memory system, midi recording and playback function, and several new tonal additions including 8' and 16' reeds and a Grand Cornet on the Great division.